Want More?

You can always find more about Eli Westfall at twitter.com/eliwestfall and

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

When God brings us to life...

I have been reading Francis Chan's Crazy Love (I know, I should have read this book eons ago... alas I did not). This book is great. It has been challenging me to live and love better. But it also has been timely for me according to my current life circumstances. It seems, that I have not read this book until now because it is what I need to hear now. A few things come to my mind and feel particularly relevant to me today and right now in my life:

1. God is bigger than me and anything that I currently struggle with. He is the almighty creator of everything out of nothing. Ex nihilo. God created all there was out of nothing. Don't forget that he had to exist prior, for him to be able to create. God is eternal and gigantically huge.

2. The giant God who is creator and king of everything, love ME. Personally. Not as a part of a group, but me. He knows me and loves me as though I was the only person. Incredible. I don't deserve this love. That's probably the understatement of all time. As I've been working to wrap my head around somethings in my own head, I have been sharing with the students that I pastor at SRCC. One thing I've said to them a couple of times is that God died for the individual, not me the unknown face in a sea of humanity. He was thinking of me on the cross... and you... and you... etc. God loves us each one.

3. God is going to do what he wants and I can either get on board or get out of the way (because his will will be done with or without me, I just might get run over if I'm impeding the process).

What does this have to do with being alive? I have been listening to a lot of Skillet lately. Particularly on the latest album, Awake, there is a much discussion on being made alive by God and God alone. I feel energized and renewed as I rely on God to bring me to life. Only God can satisfy me. Nothing else this world affords.

Do you love God with everything in your life? I want to quote Chan as I close:

Are you willing to say to God that He can have whatever He wants? Do you believe that wholehearted commitment to Him is more important than any other thing or person in your life? Do you know that nothing you do in this life will ever matter, unless it is about loving God and loving the people He has made?

No comments:

Post a Comment